No two people experience vision loss in the same way. Many feel sadness, grief, anger, and other powerful emotions. Vision loss inevitably results in lifestyle changes and has an impact upon the lives of family members, friends, and significant others. Each person dealing with vision loss is unique; each has a compelling story to tell.
Enjoy stories about what others are doing to participate in fun and rewarding activities. You, too, can continue your favorite hobby.
Are you interested in still using a computer for email, connecting with your family, surfing the web? Read what your peers are saying about this subject.
There are many techniques that people with vision problems use to get around their environment. Browse through some stories about how others are able to navigate their environment.
Family and friends of people with vision loss can learn from each other. These personal stories provide advice and direction that can help you assist your loved one with adapting successfully to the many changes ahead.
With some assistance and adjustments, most people who develop vision loss are able to remain in the workforce or to learn skills to take one jobs. Read the personal stories in this section to find out how others are continuing to work.
- A Dog Guide Diary by Gil Johnson and Harley at The Seeing Eye, Inc. (Part 2)
by Maureen Duffy on 5/15/2013
- Guest Blogger John Miller: Blogging against "Disablism" with a Dual Disability
by Maureen Duffy on 5/6/2013
- Touching the Rock: An Experience of Blindness
by Maureen Duffy on 4/2/2013
- My Commitment to Professional Growth by Guest Blogger Laurel Leigh, COMS
by Maureen Duffy on 3/27/2013
- Meet Gil Johnson: Blind Woodworker and One of California's "50 Notable People"
by Maureen Duffy on 3/26/2013
- In Memoriam: Professor Whitestick
by Maureen Duffy on 3/4/2013
- "My Life in Korea" by VisionAware Peer Advisor Lenore Dillon
by Maureen Duffy on 2/11/2013
- A New Low Vision Resource from the National Eye Institute
by Maureen Duffy on 2/7/2013
- Remembering Le Dan Bach Viet: 1961-2011
by Maureen Duffy on 1/15/2013
- The Importance of Braille Literacy: An Open Letter to the New York Times from Daniel Aronoff
by Maureen Duffy on 1/8/2013
- Why Braille Is So Important To Me by DeAnna Quietwater Noriega
by Maureen Duffy on 1/2/2013
- A Follow-Up Interview with Master Sgt. and Blind Army Veteran Jeffrey Mittman: Part 1
by Maureen Duffy on 11/14/2012
- On Veterans' Day: A New Information Hub for Veterans with Vision Loss
by Maureen Duffy on 11/11/2012
- Second Sense Blog "Jalapeños in the Oatmeal" Tackles Emotional Issues with Candor and Charm
by Maureen Duffy on 10/26/2012
- A "Top Eight" List of My Favorite Blog Posts by Joe Strechay: Part 2
by Maureen Duffy on 8/22/2012
- BlogHer '12: A Whole New Way of Thinking
by Maureen Duffy on 8/9/2012
- More VisionAware Blogroll Love!
by Maureen Duffy on 7/26/2012
- On Meeting a Sighted Person
by Maureen Duffy on 6/14/2012
- Final Thoughts about the Meaning(s) of Blindness
by Maureen Duffy on 6/30/2011
- More Thoughts about the Meaning(s) of Blindness: Words for Blindness
by Maureen Duffy on 6/28/2011