What a person with glaucoma sees
Are you experiencing problems with your peripheral or side vision? Do you have to turn your head to see what's to your immediate right or left? Do you have blurred vision, nausea, and headaches? Do you see "halos" around bright lights? You might have glaucoma.
What Is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a group of eye diseases that can lead to blindness by damaging the optic nerve. The eye continuously produces a fluid, called the aqueous, that must drain from the eye to maintain healthy eye pressure. You can learn more in Glaucoma: An Overview.
- VisionAware's new Patient's Guide to Living with Glaucoma and Guía del Paciente: Vivir con Glaucoma, by advocate and glaucoma patient Stuart Carduner, can help you and your family members better understand glaucoma and become more active partners in your treatment.
- Are you new to vision loss? Our Getting Started Kit can help you learn to live and do everyday activities with vision loss.
- Register to receive alerts and news relating to vision loss, including the latest updates in medical research.
Questions and Answers
- Joe Lovett
Meet advocate and filmmaker Joe Lovett, director of Going Blind, a documentary film created to increase public awareness of blindness, vision loss, and the vision rehabilitation system. It is also Joe's personal story of his struggle with glaucoma.
Hot Topics on our Message Boards
- Reluctant to take prescribed eye drops... (7 replies)
- working with glaucoma (3 replies)
- Glaucoma (3 replies)
- New Research: Results from the Philadelphia Glaucoma Detection and Treatment Project
by Maureen Duffy on 6/20/2016
- New Research: The Number of Older Americans with Visual Impairment or Blindness Is Expected To Double By 2050
by Maureen Duffy on 6/1/2016
- There is Hope; There is Help: Part 1 in a Series on Low Vision and Low Vision Services by Bryan Gerritsen, CLVT
by Maureen Duffy on 5/3/2016
- New Research: Do Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Systems Affect Adherence to Glaucoma Medication Regimens?
by Maureen Duffy on 4/25/2016
- Glaucoma News: Researchers Convert Stem Cells into Retinal Ganglion Cells for Future Targeted Glaucoma Treatment
by Maureen Duffy on 3/22/2016