Retirement Living and Vision Loss
Barbara Beskind, inventor and problem-solver
The time to retire has arrived. Perhaps you've looked forward to this time for years and planned to enjoy vacations or your favorite activities, such as fishing, bowling, genealogy, bridge, bingo, or reading. On the other hand, you may be concerned about retirement and the "big changes" that not working may mean in your life.
Another big change you may be encountering is that your vision is not quite what it used to be. What now? Should you think about staying at home? Moving to a retirement community or senior living facility?
Where To Live?
Trying to decide where to live in retirement is often a difficult decision to make – and perhaps your family members may be pressing you to move in with them. You know that having a good support system is critical as you get older, but you also don't want to be a "burden."
When you add coping with vision loss to the mix, making the "right" decision for you becomes that much harder. What should you look for if you decide to make a move? Do you want to live in sunny Florida or in a location with four seasons? Do you want to live near your children, grandchildren, and other family members? And not all retirement and senior living facilities are the same.
Regardless of where you choose to live, there are many things you can do to make your residence and your community safer, more enjoyable, and easier to navigate. At VisionAware, you can find information about:
- Assessing your living situation
- Organizing and modifying your home
- Home safety
- Preventing falls
- Things to look for if you decide to relocate
- Continuing to travel
- Participating in cultural and community activities
New to vision loss? Our Getting Started Kit can help.
- Understanding Our Shifting Health Insurance Landscape – and What It Means for People with Vision Loss
by Maureen Duffy on 3/27/2017
- Senior Center Without Walls: Opportunities for Connection and Community from Your Home
by Audrey Demmitt on 12/12/2016
- A New Home? Choosing a Retirement Living Community When You Have Vision Loss
by Polly Abbott, CVRT, OMS on 11/17/2016
- The Medicare Rights Center Answers Your Medicare Questions
by Priscilla Rogers on 10/10/2016
- Finding a New Home: Bucket List Sequel Four, Part 2
by Priscilla Rogers on 8/25/2016