Essential Skills for Everyday Living with Vision Loss
Vision loss does not have to prevent you from living an active, healthy, fulfilling life. There are many tips and techniques you can learn on your own to retain your independence; in addition, vision rehabilitation services and instruction can provide you with techniques that can help you accomplish many daily living skills safely and independently.
In this section about living independently at home with vision loss, we provide tips, techniques, and useful equipment to help you accomplish many everyday household tasks, including personal self-care, getting around safely indoors and outdoors, using the telephone, reading and writing, home and kitchen safety, eating skills, cleaning, household organization, and shopping.
New to vision loss? Our Getting Started Kit can help.
The most important fundamental: Get used to info from the senses. It’s important to start this right away if lighting doesn’t eliminate all of the problems.
Using the phone is vital. Solving common telephone problems for adults who are blind or have low vision.
Hot Topics on our Message Boards
- Sensible Solutions for Everyday Living with Vision Loss - 13 subjects
- Sensible Solutions: An Introduction
by Sheila Rousey on 7/4/2016
- New Research: The Number of Older Americans with Visual Impairment or Blindness Is Expected To Double By 2050
by Maureen Duffy on 6/1/2016
- The American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) 21st Century Agenda on Aging and Vision Loss Is Moving Forward!
by Priscilla Rogers on 5/17/2016
- There is Hope; There is Help: Part 1 in a Series on Low Vision and Low Vision Services by Bryan Gerritsen, CLVT
by Maureen Duffy on 5/3/2016
- Successful Ways to Work with Sighted Volunteers
by Empish J. Thomas on 4/11/2016
Questions and Answers
- Father James Warnke: Living a Well-Integrated Life
Father Warnke, who was born with retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) and glaucoma, has had a very successful series of careers as mental health counselor and Episcopal priest, to name just a few of his accomplishments.