Introduction to Blind Parenting Series
By Holly Bonner, MPA, MSW, CASAC, VisionAware Parent Series Coordinator
Parenting with Vision Loss
Parents with vision loss, you are not alone. There are countless parents just like you who are blind or visually impaired raising families of their own all over the world. From infancy to adulthood, these visually impaired mothers and fathers are successfully navigating the joys and struggles of parenting their children.
Our new Blind Parenting series will provide you first-hand accounts of how other blind and visually impaired parents have used organizational strategies with adaptive techniques to parent safely and independently. The series will explore everything related to raising a child. We will discuss:
- Preparing for Pregnancy
- Blindness and Infertility
- Congenital Vision Loss and Motherhood
- Birth Options
- Feeding Your Baby
- Potty Training
- Raising School-Aged Children
- Raising Teens
- Gift Suggestions for Children of Blind Parents
The VisionAware Peer Advisors and myself will provide personal reflections of our experiences, including those parents who have successfully raised children into adulthood and others who have been promoted to the coveted role of grandparent.
Whether you're considering starting a family or are currently parenting through the awkward tween stages, we hope this series offers you a look into the world of Blind Parenting.
Additional Resources for Parents
- Author Ed Henkler Helps Readers Support Parents with Age-related Vision Loss
Ed Henkler, son of a mother with age-related macular degeneration, writes an e-book for helping families with useful tips and resources on dealing with vision loss. Read about his journey and his book.
- Chaperoning a Field Trip with My Sighted Child
by Beckie Horter on 2/1/2017
- Tips for Toddler Potty Training for Parents Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
by Holly Bonner on 1/25/2017
- Birth Options for Mothers Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
by Holly Bonner on 1/11/2017
- A Time of Joy and a Time of Sorrow: Grandmothering Without Sight
by Sheila Rousey on 12/21/2016
- Accepting Life As It Comes
by Maribel Steel on 12/5/2016